Former Church / Ruins Of Eggleston Church

Date:
14 Nov 2000
Location:
Former Church, B6281, Eggleston, Teesdale, Durham
Show all locations
Ruins Of Eggleston Church, B6281, Eggleston, Teesdale, Durham
Reference:
IOE01/02443/15
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

EGGLESTON B6281(North side NY9923 off)

25/7 Former Church ( formerly listed 14.9.66 as Ruins of Eggleston Church) GV II Chapel of ease, now replaced by later parish church of Holy Trinity (q.v.).

Late C18.

Irregular courses of sandstone ashlar with projecting quoins and ashlar dressings; roofless at time of survey. 3-bay nave and 3-bay chancel with north vestry.

Nave and chancel each have keyed plain stone surrounds, with impost blocks, to round-headed central door and flanking windows; Venetian east window in similar style. Curved kneelers supported gable copings, now ruined. Interior shows stone walls, with some plaster. Ruined monuments on walls include well-carved high-relief panel of 3 cherubs' heads, asymmetrically composed, flanked by wide scroll brackets supporting cornice, probably below former memorial panel, and detached fragement of dentilled moulding from same memorial.

Derelict and with large tree growing in nave at time of survey.

Listing NGR: NY9977623402

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1212 IOE Records taken by Derek Le Mare; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Derek Le Mare. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Le Mare, Derek

Rights Holder: Le Mare, Derek

Keywords

Ashlar, Sandstone, Georgian Chapel Of Ease, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Parish Church, Church, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative

Back
to top