Romaldkirk House, Glazed Walkway And Rear Yard Walls To Left / The Rectory

Date:
8 Feb 2001
Location:
Romaldkirk House, Glazed Walkway And Rear Yard Walls To Left, The Green, Romaldkirk, Teesdale, Durham
Show all locations
The Rectory, The Green, Romaldkirk, Teesdale, Durham
Reference:
IOE01/02443/34
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

ROMALDKIRK THE GREEN NY 9922 (North side, off)

29/150 Romaldkirk House, 19/1/52 glazed walkway and rear yard walls to left (formerly listed as The Rectory) GV II Former Rectory, now private house, with glazed walkway and curved rear yard walls to left. Altered C17 L-plan core (a Tudor-arched doorway was briefly revealed c.1960) with early C18 and C19 additions; garden front refaced c.1825; walkway and yard walls c.1860. Squared and rubble sandstone. Stone-flagged roofs. Stone chimney stacks. L-plan with added double range to right.

2-storey garden front. Projecting central bay flanked by 3-bay wings; right wing slightly taller. Pair of partly-glazed 3-panel doors, in chamfered doorway with alternating jambs, in right bay of left wing. Central tripartite ground- floor window; other windows are 12-pane sashes in moulded surrounds. Paired stone gutter brackets. Roof, with coped gables and shaped kneelers, is hipped over centre bay.

Rear: early C18 range parallel to right wing: tripartite ground-floor window, in architrave, with segmental-headed centre light; two segmental-headed 21-pane sashes, with thick glazing bars,in architraves, above. 2-storey added outshut on rear of old left wing.

Interior: 2 bolection-moulded stone fireplaces, with corniced lintels, in first-floor bedrooms; late C18 patterned cast-iron grate in nursery; several 6- panel doors; c.1825 fittings include spacious staircase hall with roof light, single-flight staircase with stick balusters and ramped handrail, and first- floor landing corridor with elliptical archways at either end.

Glazed walkway, attached to left part of garden front, has 7 square stone pillars supporting a glazed monopitch roof. Two tall curved yard walls, attached to rear of walkway, enclose a turning circle for coaches.

History: the home of the Rev. Reginald Bligh, a cousin of Capt. Bligh of the Bounty.

Listing NGR: NY9956622163

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1212 IOE Records taken by Derek Le Mare; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Derek Le Mare. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Le Mare, Derek

Rights Holder: Le Mare, Derek

Keywords

Glass, Rubble, Sandstone, Stone, Tudor House, Elizabethan Monument <By Form>, Stuart Domestic, Jacobean Dwelling, Vicarage, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, Yard, Unassigned, Covered Way, Turning Circle, Transport, Road Transport Site, Wall, Barrier

Back
to top