Southwell Baptish Chapel And Adjoining House
- 2 Aug 2000
- Southwell Baptish Chapel And Adjoining House, Nottingham Road, Southwell, Newark And Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG25 0LG
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NOTTINGHAM ROAD SK6953 1919-0/10/131 (East side) 11/08/61 Southwell Baptist chapel and adjoining house
Baptist chapel and adjoining house. Built 1808 as the parish workhouse and converted to chapel with attached manse c1839.
Mid C19 and late C20 additions. Restored and interior refitted 1989 by John Severn. Brick, with stucco front, stone dressings and hipped slate roof. Plinth, first floor band, moulded eaves, single gable stack. Front windows are glazing bar sashes. Single range, 6 windows, with a projecting semicircular central bay at front and rear. 2 storey chapel, to right, has 4 tall round headed sashes and below, 4 smaller flat headed sashes. 3 storey house, to left, has 2 flat headed sashes on each floor. Projecting rear bay has similar fenestration to front bay. Right end has a stucco porch with parapet and the inscription "Baptist Chapel" over the door.
Behind this, parapeted brick porch, 1989. Rear has, to left, a mid C19 addition, brick with pantile roof, with single gable and side wall stacks. 2 storeys; 3 window range. Windows are cross casements with segmental heads. Off-centre door, also with segmental head.
(Buildings of England: Elizabeth Williamson: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 333).
Listing NGR: SK6994753487
© Mr Tony Williams. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Williams, Tony
Rights Holder: Williams, Tony
Brick, Slate, Stone, Stucco, Georgian Workhouse, Health And Welfare, Domestic, Residential Building, Manse, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Baptist Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Place Of Worship