So-Called Chapel About 10 Yards North West Of The Old Prebendal

Date:
5 Apr 2002
Location:
So-Called Chapel About 10 Yards North West Of The Old Prebendal, Station Road, Shipton Under Wychwood, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7 6BQ
Reference:
IOE01/02448/23
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SHIPTON-UNDER-WYCHWOOD STATION ROAD SP 2618-2718 6/100 So-called "Chapel" about 10 yards north-west 27.8.56 of the Old Prebendal GV II Outbuilding incorporating features from demolished chapel. C14 and C15 features set in mid C19 structure in 1900 (see date panel). Rubble built with Cotswold stone roof, coped verges and saddlestones. The north-east gable wall links with back of Old Prebendal (qv) and contains one of the re-set arches. Two pointed C14 archways with florets in rebated chamfer, one to yard at rear of Old Prebendal (qv) and one to outhouse; the right-hand doorway is incomplete and flanking imposts imply an arcade; flanked by cusp-head lancets with label drips. Further 'L'-plan range to east with irregular openings. Return wall to south-east has a chamfered archway at south-west end.

Listing NGR: SP2798018046

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1087 IOE Records taken by Ash Ismail; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Ash Ismail. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Ismail, Ash

Rights Holder: Ismail, Ash

Keywords

Rubble, Stone, Medieval Architectural Fragment, Unassigned, Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Oubliette, Building, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument

Back
to top