Baptist Chapel With Attached Parish Room And Manse
- 5 Jul 2000
- Baptist Chapel With Attached Parish Room And Manse, Broad Street, Pershore, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR10 1AY
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SO9445 BROAD STREET 648-1/5/69 (South side) Baptist Chapel with attached Parish Room and Manse
Chapel with attached parish room and manse. Chapel founded 1658, present building 1843, altered; extended towards road (this part now the Parish Room) and manse built 1888. Brick with Welsh-slate and plain tile roofs. EXTERIOR: chapel of one storey, 1x4 bays, with gabled 2-storey Parish Room added at front, and to right of this the manse which has a 3-storey range, gable end to road, with a 2-storey, 2-window wing projecting from right side but set back and with a single-storey porch in the angle. Original chapel: of red brick in Flemish bond having Welsh-slate roof with stepped dentilled eaves. Tall 4-centred-arched recesses, the arches of rubbed brick with keystones, contain tall similarly-arched windows which have stone cills and 7/4-pane sashes with arched glazing bars in heads. Parish Room: of red brick and ashlar; plain tile roof with stepped, raised, verge. Stepped gable with moulded ashlar coping and finial. Upper window of 5 stepped lights with transoms and stepped hoodmould; panelled band below. Ground floor has 3-light window and entrance on right with double door and mullioned over-light. Manse: red brick in Flemish bond with white-brick "quoins", decorative bands, eaves and jambs; decorative stone cills and lintels; oversailing Welsh-slate roof with dentilled and moulded eaves, barge boards, and brick stacks with offsets. Windows are 2/2 sashes, paired on ground floor, with a 3-light canted bay-window to gable end of wing. INTERIOR: of chapel: 3-sided gallery supported by cast-iron columns and brackets with blind Gothick-arched panelled fronts, 3 tiers of pews to sides and 1 at back; Gothick-panelled NW gallery door; SW staircase has narrow balusters, curved treads, and handrail with spiral curtail; pointed-arched double-door on ground floor at E end; main 4-centred-arched entrance at W end; further pointed-arched doorways; flat ceiling, divided into squares by deep ribs springing from bosses on side walls, has 4 moulded ceiling roses with metal grilles; ground-floor refurbishment of 1980s resulted in removal of most original fittings. Furnishings include candle lamp of 1843, early-C19 wall
monuments, and under-floor baptistry.
Listing NGR: SO9489645679
© Mrs Ann Vint. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Vint, Ann
Rights Holder: Vint, Ann
Ashlar, Brick, Tile, Welsh Slate, Georgian Wall Monument, Victorian Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Baptist Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Manse, Domestic, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Parish Hall, Civil, Meeting Hall, Public Building