This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SK 80 NW BROOKE
1/61 Church of St. Peter
14.6.54 GV I
Small parish church partly of C12 but with C13 west tower, perpendicular S. aisle, and N . aisle and chancel of c 1579. It was restored in 1888, but this apparently had little effect on the interior. Coursed squared rubble throughout. West tower, nave with 2 aisles, chancel. Tower of 3 stages with 2-light plate traceried opening to bell chamber, with pierced wood shuttering and foliate capitals to shafts. Lancet windows in 2nd stage, and embattled parapet, corbelled out, above. Buttressed S. aisle with square headed windows restored C19. South porch has plinth and round headed archway beneath a coped gable. The South doorway has outer arch of C12 with twisted rope hoodmould, and double zigzag arch. The inner arch is pointed, though formerly round, supported by slight shafts, each arch being roll-moulded. The chancel is higher than the nave, and of ashlar, with square headed windows, made up of round arched lights. North aisle and chancel aisle also ashlar, with steep coped gables. 2-light window with squared hoodmould in west wall.
Inside, North arcade of 3 bays, norman, with double chamfered arches on circular shafts with volute capitals and square abaci with chamfered corners.
Pointed early English arch to tower, with triple chamfer and 2 slender shafts.
N. aisle as wide as the nave with door (blocked externally) round arched with ornate door furniture including scorpion-like hinges. Chancel arch and 2 bay arcade between chancel and N. chapel, are Elizabethan, moulded round arches on chamfered square shafts.
Chancel roof is C19 - a wagon roof with good timbering.
Elizabethan furnishings and fittings throughout - in the chancel, are 2 box pews with square panels and a frieze - ornate snake-like hinges on the doors.
Over the frieze, and open-work band with turned balusters. The South pew has been made into a tiny vestry and this openwork filled in with fretted woodwork. Wall panelling in S. wall has scrolly and ornate arabesque-style frieze. Altar rails with turned balusters, and the alter table, chancel screen and that between chancel and N. chapel are panelled with a widely spaced balustrade above. In the nave a lectern and pulpit with sounding board, box pews and wall panelling with frieze and ball finials.
In the North chapel, a large memorial to Charles, son of Andrew Noel d 1619 aged 28. Alabaster recumbent effigy in flat aedicule: blank columns capped by obelisks above the cornice, which has lozenge and foliate decoration, and coat of arms in the centre. The figure is in armour, and lies on a woven pallet. Behind and below the figure are tablets bearing epitaphs. The monument is painted in red, green, gold and black.
Front is C12, a square basin on square base, arcaded, and with pyramidal wood cover.
Listing NGR: SK8497705724
© Mr Harold Killingback. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Killingback, Harold
Rights Holder: Killingback, Harold
Rubble, Timber, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Effigy