This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST JAMES'S ROAD 1.
5104 Edgbaston B15 No 16 (The Round House) SP 0585 NE 40/46 II 26.8.81 2.
A good example of a stucco cottage ornee combining the picturesque Italian rustic manner with gothic-Tudor details. The central cornical roofed rotunda was originally built as a freestanding folly circa 1810, in grounds that were then part of No 29 George Road. The wings to the garden front and the wings on the roadside were added circa 1830 on conversion to a separate dwelling.
Further addition of service wing on west side circa 1860-70 and some early C20 alterations. The rotunda on 2 storeys, rising above the single storey wings, has a conical graded slate roof with very deep overhang to eaves.
As originally built it was probably thatched. Crowning stucco chimney with Victorian ornamental pots has attached dovecote gable to one side. The wings have hipped slate roofs with flat eaves, the roofs over link sections wrapped around the rotunda. The lean-to forebuilding with the entrance in the angle, to right hand of road front, has been much altered this century. Random fenestration: the tower retaining an assortment of pointed arch casements, one on first floor very small; the wings have drip moulds over their casements and there is an oval window in the left hand wing. On the garden front the 1830 wings symmetrically flank the rotunda, terminating in slightly advanced bays containing late C19 French windows. The hipped slate roofs, with overhanging eaves, are gracefully swept around the rotunda over the link sections which have 2 light casements with drip moulds. On this front the rotunda has centrally placed 2 light leaded casements, that on first floor original with pointed arches to lights. The 2 storey late C19 service wing has exposed brickwork to its west flank. Inside the house was considerably altered in the early C20: door furniture, staircase etc, but the ground floor room of the rotunda, facing the garden, a small mantlepiece with roundel corner blocks and cornice-shelf.
Listing NGR: SP0590885629
© Dr John Davis. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Davis, John
Rights Holder: Davis, John
Slate, Stucco, Thatch, Georgian Folly, Victorian Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Building, Cottage Ornee, Monument <By Form>, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Service Wing, Dovecote, Agriculture And Subsistence, Agricultural Building