BUSHWOOD

Date:
11 Aug 2000
Location:
Bushwood, 32 St James's Road B15, Birmingham, West Midlands, B15 2SE
Reference:
IOE01/02460/16
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

ST JAMES'S ROAD 1.

5104 Edgbaston B15 No 32 (Bushwood) SP 0685 NW 41/16 II 2.

A large 2 storey stucco villa set back from road with carriage sweep. Originally a circa 1830 three bay symmetrical front but with a bowed end wing added to left hand, perhaps almost contemporary circa 1835. The original 3 bay front has plinth and first floor sill band; modillion bracket eaves to hipped slate roof. Revealed glazing bar sashes. Large enclosed porch with triglyph frieze and modillion cornice; arched entrance and side lights; panelled door under moulded cornice and lunette fanlight. Hipped slate roofs over extensions.

The bowed end wing is parapeted with first floor stringcourse, tripartite sash window to ground floor of bow. Two storey canted bay window to right hand of circa 1840 with windows, stringcourse and eaves cornice same as original house, but hipped roof higher. The long low wing to right is 3 windows wide.

A long service wing with dentil eaves and glazing bar casements extends to rear, screened by yard wall with gate piers.



Listing NGR: SP0606485618

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0558 IOE Records taken by John Davis; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Dr John Davis. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Davis, John

Rights Holder: Davis, John

Keywords

Slate, Stucco, Georgian Villa, Victorian Agriculture And Subsistence, Land Use Site, Domestic, House, Dwelling, Service Wing, Gate Pier, Unassigned, Wall, Monument <By Form>, Barrier

Back
to top