The Oratory / The Church Of The Immaculate Conception (The Oratory)

Date:
21 Jun 2001
Location:
The Oratory, Hagley Road B16, Birmingham, West Midlands, B15 2TJ
Show all locations
The Church Of The Immaculate Conception (The Oratory), Hagley Road B16, Birmingham, West Midlands, B15 2TJ
Reference:
IOE01/02461/15
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

HAGLEY ROAD 1.

5104 (north side) Edgbaston B16 The Church of the Immaculate Conception (The Oratory) (formerly listed as The Oratory) SP 0488 SE 36/3 25.4.52 II GV 2.

On the site of the original church of 1853 which had been added to and embellished by John Hungerford Pollen in 1858-61. The present church of 1903-9 by E Doran Webb, and built as a memorial to Cardinal Newman (1801-90).

Stands back from the road and is approached through a gate beneath part of St Philip's Grammar School (qv). Limestone; copper facing to dome. Long nave with tunnel vault lit by dormer windows and carried on Corinthian colonnades. Narrow passage aisles with side chapels in shallow bays in the outer walls. Shallow north and south transepts; wide short apsidal chancel.

Over the crossing, a dome on a drum with large rectangular windows. The interior decoration ornate and with much use of coloured marbles and mosaic work, some of the latter by Westlake. Altar in the north transept from the church of Sant Andrea della Valle in Rome. Altars beneath the choir gallery and in the chapel of St Charles Borromeo by Pollen and from the old church. St Phillips chapel on the south side of the church is of 1858. The shrine of St Philip Neri in the north-east chapel, by G B Cox, is based on that in the Chiesa Nuova in Rome and was added cl93O.



Listing NGR: SP0491586049

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0558 IOE Records taken by John Davis; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Dr John Davis. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Davis, John

Rights Holder: Davis, John

Keywords

Copper, Limestone, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship

Back
to top