This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL 74 SE OVINGTON CHURCH ROAD 3/161 Church of St Mary 21.6.62 The Virgin (formerly listed as Church of St Mary)
Parish Church. C12 origin Nave. C14 rebuilt Chancel. South porch and Bell Turret of uncertain date possibly C15/16. Walls of flint rubble with no Chancel division. Red plain riled roof kith coping and cross to east. Weatherboard south Bell Turret, with hipped leaded roof and cross finial and louvres to each face. Angled 2 stage buttresses to each corner. East Window. C19/20 of 3 cusped lights with 6 quatrefoils over in a 2 centre arched head above which is a small round headed stone moulding with 2 quatrefoils. North Wall. 2 C14 one cinquefoiled light windows, one late C14 2 trefoiled ogee light window with simple tracery and segmental pointed head. To right a C14 doorway with moulded jambs and 2 centred arch with moulded label. Plain vertically boarded door.
Between the one light windows is a carved stone with round arch with flat head over, possibly a monument from elsewhere recently inserted. West Wall. C19/20 2 cusped 2 centre headed lights in a 2 centre head with C14 cill, splays and rear arch, beneath which is small plaque. South Wall. 2 two light ogee windows similar to those in North Wall and a similar one light window, between which is a late C14 doorway with pointed moulded arch under a moulded label. Nailed plank and muntin door with 2 wrought iron hinges. An old stone carving in C20 setting has been placed over the door and another stone setting forming a cross is to the left of the South porch. An enriched ogee headed niche with a Madonna and Child is to the right of the South Porch. South Porch. Timber framed and plastered.
Red plain tiled roof with Iona cross at apex. Chamfered wall plates and cambered lintel. South doorway uniform with North doorway. Vertically boarded and nailed door with 2 wrought hinges. Interior Bell Turret on 2 heavily braced portal frames. Stop chamfered beams. The Roof is ceiled and shows 5 cants. Moulded wall plates and a chamfered timber above the ashlar pieces. Brick Floor.
Tub Front. C12. Stone on square base with angle bosses. Late C14 Foliate Glass fragment in South East window. C19 Communion Rails. C19 Stained glass in East and West windows. Piscina, C14 square head with circular foiled drain. Chest.
Plain and iron bound with lock and hasps. Date unknown. Floor Slabs.
(I) Hannah and Timothy Felton etc, 1683, 1964. (2) Timothy and Susannah Felton and Daughter Easter Firmin. 1665, 1683, 1713. Wall Plaque. Rev C Fisher, 1839 and Francis Brise daughter of T Ruggles of Spains Hall 1855. (Panelled pulpit.
C19/20). Wall plaque John Fisher, student of East India College, Haileybury and his wife Eliza. 6 April 1829, aged 17. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TL7632742559
© Mrs Kate Broadbent. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Broadbent, Kate
Rights Holder: Broadbent, Kate
Flint, Lead, Rubble, Tile, Weatherboard, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Grave Slab, Grave Marker, Funerary Site, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Plaque
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.