This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
LONGBRIDGE DEVERILL CROCKERTON GREEN ST 84 SE (east side) 3/185 Baptist Chapel and attached shop 11.9.68
Particular Baptist chapel and former school room, now shop premises. Early C18. Coursed rubble stone, tiled roof, brick stack to right. Four-windowed chapel, 1-windowed schoolroom.
Chapel has three tall round-arched leaded windows to left, planked door to right with round-arched leaded window over, lighting gallery. Two storey schoolroom has 6-panelled door with flat wooden hood and 16-pane flush sash to right, round-arched fixed window to first floor, chamfered rusticated quoins to chapel and schoolroom. Moulded stone eaves cornice. Rear of chapel has three square-headed leaded windows to right, 2-light casement to ground and first floor of gallery end to left, schoolroom to left has 16- pane sash to both floors.
Interior of chapel has C19 south gallery on cast-iron composite columns, pine gallery balustrade, C19 pews with some reused C18 panelling. C18 octagonal pulpit with fielded panelling. Marble tablets on north wall to John Clark died 1803, signed Biggs of Bath, and to Joseph Thresher, died 1842, both ministers of this chapel. Chapel founded in 1660s and associated with the Adlam family of Bull Mill (q.v.) Ceased to be used for worship early 1980s. (B. Watkin, Crockerton, 1983.)
Listing NGR: ST8675143192
© Ms Geraldine Bunn. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bunn, Geraldine
Rights Holder: Bunn, Geraldine
Rubble, Stone, Tile, Stuart Schoolroom, Georgian Education, Baptist Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Shop, Commercial