The Coach House
- 11 Apr 2001
- The Coach House, Mill Lane, Bishopstrow, West Wiltshire, Wiltshire, BA12 9HJ
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BISHOPSTROW MILL LANE ST 84 SE (west side) 3/9 The Coach House 11.11.76
Detached house. Mid C17 with C20 addition to north. English bond brick with limestone dressings, half-hipped tiled roof, brick stacks. Gable-end to road, now L-plan. C17 2-storey, single window south front has central C20 door in porch with hipped roof, either side are two recessed chamfered cross windows, moulded plinth and stone quoins. First floor, now reduced in height, has one central C20 casement. Left return has 2-light mullioned window to first floor. Right return has two C20 casements to first floor.
Rear is rubble stone with blocked window and C20 round-arched light. Attached 1970s wing in brick cavity walling, half-hipped tiled roof, details in same style as C17 build such as string course and single light and 3-light stone mullioned windows. C17 range is remains of or an outbuilding to a larger house; the Bishopstrow House destroyed by fire c.1800 and replaced by present Bishopstrow House (q.v.) on north side of Warminster Road. C20 wing added since 1976.
Listing NGR: ST8978443996
© Ms Geraldine Bunn. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Bunn, Geraldine
Rights Holder: Bunn, Geraldine
Brick, Limestone, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Tudor Oubliette, Elizabethan Unassigned, Stuart Building, Jacobean Detached House, Monument <By Form>, House, Domestic, Dwelling