This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST 8032-8132 MERE THE SQUARE (west side)
6/76 Clock Tower
Clock tower. Dated 1868. Rock faced limestone, ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof, wooden turret and ventilating louvre. Square plan with one offset diagonal buttress, pyramidal roof broached to octagonal stage with clock on two faces, further small slated pyramid to louvred crowning feature with weather- cock. Plain plank doors to moulded arch in east front with drip to leaf stops under panel 'Albert Edward 1868' and the Prince of Wales feathers. Blind lancet north and south, leaded glazed to west; corbel table cornice to main roof.
Small gabled lucarne each face of roof slope. Holds an important position in centre of former market place, on the site occupied by the Market House until 1863. The present clock tower was given to the town by H.R.H. the Prince of Wales.
Listing NGR: ST8124732362
© Mr G.M. Cotton. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cotton, G.M.
Rights Holder: Cotton, G.M.
Ashlar, Limestone, Welsh Slate, Wood, Victorian Clock Tower, Unassigned, Tower, Building, Weather Vane