Church Of St Bartholomew
- 12 Jun 2000
- Church Of St Bartholomew, Vowchurch, Herefordshire
- Photograph (Digital)
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SO 33 NE VOWCHURCH CP -
3/128 Church of St Bartholomew 26/1/67 -
Parish church. C12 origins with major work of late C13, C14 and C17.
Finely coursed sandstone rubble, timber-framed bell turret, stone slate and slate roofs. Three-bay nave and 2-bay chancel in one, bell turret in west gable, south porch. The bell turret, possibly dating from early C16, is timber-framed with close-studding with 2 rails topped by a slate-clad broach spire. Two-light late C19 cinquefoiled west window. North-west window of nave is of similar design but probably C14. The next window to the west is C13 with 3 stepped lights. Two c1300 trefoiled windows on north side of chancel have 2 lights - the western one is restored. East window similar to the 3-light window in the north wall of the nave. Two 2-light trefoiled windows in south wall of chancel matching those on north side. South-east window of nave matches the 3-light window opposite. East of the south porch is one small C12 round-headed window. South porch has C18 wicket gate and gabled stone slate roof with each side supported by 12 C17 balusters. Entrance under 2-centred moulded C14 arch, contemporary ledged door with ornate strap hinges and 3 vertical fillets Interior: mainly C17 roof is supported on 7 pairs of chamfered posts extending to wall-plate level.
Consoles on each post carry struts supporting tie-beams with pendants; above the ties are collars supported by queen struts and angle struts. Between the last and penultimate pair of posts, corresponding to the liturgical chancel, are 2 C14 (?) trusses without posts consisting of foiled principal rafters and V-struts above arch-braced collars rising from the wall-plates. The chancel is also defined by a C17 screen enriched with 2 terms beneath a central pediment and a plank and muntin derived dado supporting balusters. In the chancel are 2 inward-facing benches incised "RK 1636", C17 altar rails with turned balusters, a C13 piscina with 2-centred head and 2 basins and a shelf, also a late C19 heating stove inscribed "FLAT TOP/ ROMEESSE". Nave: pulpit is probably C18, 5-sided with plain moulded rail and bulbous pedestal with 3 feet. West of the pulpit in the north wall are two plain arched tomb recesses. On the south side west of the screen is a large niche, possibly the remains of access door to rood loft Oak panelling, probably C17, runs along both sides of the nave. The font has a fluted circular basin, probably C12, supported on a C19 base. At the west end of the nave 2 parclose screens with balusters, possibly C17, divide off the north-west and south-west corners and in the centre is a C17 heavy open timber-framed belfry support with a large central pendant and angle struts to the bottom storey. Monuments: on the south side of the east wall a tapering marble wall plaque in the style of Canova containing a head, to Sir Edward Boughton, died 1794, of Poston Court (qv); on the west side of the south door, a simple stone plque supported on a bracket, to Matthew Seaborne, died 1798. Graded I on account of unusual interior with posts supporting roof trusses.
Listing NGR: SO3618536466
© G. Jane Fleet. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Fleet, G. Jane
Rights Holder: Fleet, G. Jane
Rubble, Sandstone, Slate, Stone, Timber, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Plaque