The Lordship

Date:
31 Jul 2000
Location:
The Lordship, High Street, Much Hadham, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG10 6DA
Reference:
IOE01/02478/03
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

TL 4219 MUCH HADHAM HIGH STREET (east side) Much Hadham village

13/1 The Lordship

22.2.67

- II*

Manor house. Circa 1740-45 red brick with C16 and early C17 old house at rear. In large grounds with medieval rectangular homestead moat to the E and a large stable block at right angles to the NW. The main block is a 2 storey, parapeted rectangle with hipped, old tile roof. Prominent, wooden, modillion eaves cornice to 3 sides, forming pediment on slightly projecting, 3 window centre of 9 window W front. Triple arch Tuscan porch with glazed fans and half-glazed side doors. Fielded, 6-panel door.

Rubbed brick window lintels and C19 casements to both floors.

Recessed panels between floors. Semicircular attic light with glazing bars. S elevation with end pilasters and brick surrounds to Ground floor windows. Early C17, gabled, two and a half storey continuation to E has attic window with Tudor hood mould.

Rear elevation comprises 2 projecting double-gabled wings, that on S C16 red brick, two and a half storeys with 3-light Ground and 1st floor leaded casements. Return elevation to N has deep, dentil and modillion wood cornice which continues higher up on rear of main block. Near junction is double Tudor chimneystack.

N wing is early C19. Big Ground floor canted bay; 1st floor canted oriel. 1912 wing on SE by Sir Reginald Blomfield. Red brick and tiles, hipped roof with 3 hipped, 3-light, casement dormers on E. Ground floor 3- and 5-light casements. C16 red brick wall on N and S.

Interior has c.1740-45 staircase in rectangular hall on N, and contemporary coved cornice to most Ground floor rooms. At rear centre is a re-set, mid C17, oak staircase with large balusters and strapwork panels. Early C17, chamfer-stopped beams in N rear projection Ground floor. Re-used oak panelling in room above, which also has early C18 bolection moulded fireplace. The house belonged to William Morris, but his interior decoration has not survived. (Pevsner (1977) 255-6).

Listing NGR: TL4289019866

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0921 IOE Records taken by John Harris; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr John Harris. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Harris, John

Rights Holder: Harris, John

Keywords

Brick, Tile, Medieval Moat, Tudor Domestic, Elizabethan Water Supply And Drainage, House, Monument <By Form>, Dwelling, Manor House, Stable, Agriculture And Subsistence, Animal Shed, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Transport

Back
to top