The Red House
- 3 Jul 2000
- The Red House, High Street, Much Hadham, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG10 6BU
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL 4219 MUCH HADHAM HIGH STREET (west side) Much Hadham village
13/42 The Red House
House. Circa 1720 and C16/17 timber frame. Red brick and old tile, hipped roof behind parapet. 2 storeys. 5 window front has plain pilasters at ends and slightly projecting 3 window centre.
Moulded brick plinth. Parapet with sunken panels. Segmental headed, recessed sash windows, 6/6 on Ground floor, 4/4 on 1st floor. Rubbed brick lintels with projecting keystones, carried onto moulded floor bands. Central, flat, Doric doorcase with deep hood and 8-panel door. S elevation has Ground and 1st floor 4/4 sashes and large, 1st floor, modern, canted oriel. Parallel, 2 storey, rear range in painted brick and plaster with old tile hipped roof. Single storey, timber frame extension to west.
Interior has reset staircase to left of front door with alternate plain and barleytwist balusters. Fully panelled, early C18 room in NW Ground floor.
Listing NGR: TL4278419369
© Mr John Harris. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Harris, John
Rights Holder: Harris, John
Brick, Tile, Timber, Medieval Timber Framed House, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Elizabethan Timber Framed Building, Stuart House, Jacobean Domestic, Dwelling