Wyndham House / St Edmund's College / Council House

Date:
16 Jul 2000
Location:
Wyndham House, Bourne Hill, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1 3UZ
Show all locations
St Edmund's College, Bourne Hill, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1 3UZ
Council House, Bourne Hill, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1 3UZ
Reference:
IOE01/02482/10
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

BOURNE HILL 1.

1594 Council House (Formerly Wyndham House) SU 1430 SE 2/236 28.2.52.

II* 2.

(On site of St Edmund's College). The site and remains of St Edmund's College founded by Bishop de la Wyle, was bought by the Wyndham family in 1660 and the south front of the present house, rebuilt about 1670, with alterations in early C18 and in 1788. South front of 2 storeys. Red brick on stone plinth with projecting band at ground floor cill level. Bracketed stone cornice and blocking course, and brick parapet over with stone piers between bays, stone coping crowned with stone balls over the piers. A long front of 7 bays with narrow flanking wings each of 1 bay. 7 windows on lst floor and 6 on ground floor, all with rusticated stone architrave surrounds with voussoir heads and moulded cills on curved brackets. The side wings are full height each with a 3-centred arched lst floor window and oval panel above, with a rectangular ground floor window. The inner faces of the wings have circular niches with moulded stone surrounds and carved scroll brackets supporting base at foot. Central 6 Panel double door (C18) with radiating fanlight in rusticated bonded stone arch, under a late C18 well proportioned stone Doric porch with blocks of triple (engaged) columns supporting entablature with triglyph frieze and pediment. The 1788 east front Cl8 has 2 3-storey angular bays, full height, flanking central part with 2 windows on lst floor and very large 3-light window on ground floor recessed in 4-centred arch. The lights have architrave surrounds and are divided by panelled pilasters and flat carved brackets (Acanthus ornament) supporting fluted frieze and cornice broken forward over bracket. Panel over with delicate urn ornament, no glazing bars. Additional end bays of 2 windows. The west front has a large sham Gothic window C18/C19.

The north elevation is stuccoed with parapet and string below that is possibly C16. There is a stone mullioned and transomed window on this front. The interior has had alterationsbut retains 2 C16 plaster ceilings. The entrance hall is in the position of a mediaeval hall and has fluted Doric pilasters.

Council room with screen of Ionic columns. Staircase with single iron balusters and continuous moulded handrail.

Listing NGR: SU1473630355

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0935 IOE Records taken by Brian Harvey; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Brian Harvey. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Harvey, Brian

Rights Holder: Harvey, Brian

Keywords

Brick, Stone, Stucco, Medieval House, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Elizabethan Domestic, Dwelling, Theological College, Education, Training College