Church Of St Barnabas
- 18 Jun 2000
- Church Of St Barnabas, Gallogate Lane, Weeton, Harrogate, North Yorkshire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SE 24 NE WEETON GALLOGATE LANE
5/100 Church of St Barnabas
Church of St Barnabas. 1851-53. Designed by G G Scott for the Earl of Harewood, but executed by E H Shellard. Snecked gritstone and ashlar, Westmorland slate roof. Cruciform plan: nave of 3 bays, shallow transepts, central spire, 2-bay chancel with vestry to north-east. High Gothic style.
South porch has cinquefoil-headed arch with dripmould. 3-light Decorated east window. Tall broach spire. Interior: tower crossing has 2-bay arcades with low pointed arches and clerestory over. Chancel arch has clustered columns with roll and fillet mouldings. Wooden barrel vault to chancel is decorated in red and blue, with gold stars. Reredos and sanctuary floor decorated with polychrome glazed tiles. Font with tall, wooden, open-work cover near south door. Elaborate brass candelabra and wall brackets.
Listing NGR: SE2838346503
© Mr Andrew Crompton. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Crompton, Andrew
Rights Holder: Crompton, Andrew
Ashlar, Gritstone (Sandstone), Lake District Slate, Wood, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship