This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST23NE CANNINGTON CP HIGH STREET (North side) 12/24 Almshouse (formerly listed as Rogers' Almshouses) 29.3.63
Almshouse. C16; alterations dated 1672, for Henry Rogers, substantial alterations of 1971. Random red sandstone rubble, double Roman tile roofi small square turret with a sundial, pyramidal lead roof with a weather vane with a metal pennant, inscribed:- 'HR 1699'; coped verges, L-plan, symmetrical frontage; two storeys, 3:3 bays, 2-light casements with glazing bars, those to ground floor transomed. Central door opening, glazed C20 door with sidelights. Shallow keyed semi-circular head recess above door, incised lettering commemorating the establishment of the almshouse. The legs of some jointed crucks survive inside. Included primarily for historical interest.
Listing NGR: ST2562739653
© Mrs Paulette Bjergfelt. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bjergfelt, Paulette
Rights Holder: Bjergfelt, Paulette
Lead, Rubble, Sandstone, Tile, Medieval Timber Framed Building, Tudor Monument (By Form), Elizabethan Almshouse, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare, Domestic, Residential Building, Weather Vane, Unassigned