Machine Shop And Attached Range To West At Royal Ordnance Factory

Date:
8 Oct 2000
Location:
Machine Shop And Attached Range To West At Royal Ordnance Factory, Ordnance Road, Enfield, Greater London
Reference:
IOE01/02493/21
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

In the entry for:

ORDNANCE ROAD TQ 39 NE 21/291 Machine shop and attached range to west at Royal Ordnance Factory

GV II

the description shall be amended to read as follows:



Small arms factory. 1854-58 for Board of Ordnance. Yellow brick with facade in polycromatic brick with red brick dressings and alternate red and yellow brick voussoirs to arches. Gabled Welsh slate roofs. L-plan with range of subsidiary buildings to the SW of Machine Shop. Italianate style front to Machine Shop. One storey, 23 window range.

3-storey clock tower and belfry to centre, with blind arches to 2nd stage, semi-circular arches with keystones to 3rd stage, stone impost courses and corbelled brick cornice beneath hipped roof; lower stage has semi-circular arch over C20 door with fanlight. Windows with glazing bars set in semi-circular arches linked by red brick impost course; red brick corbelling beneath frieze of diaper work and moulded stone cornice. Right side elevation, partly in similar style with semicircular arches over doors and windows, has range of 9 north-light gables.

Interior: 12 x 14 bays to front, defined by cast-iron columns at roughly 20 ft. intervals, supporting wrought-iron trusses with rooflights; some replacements of late C20. Original columns cast with Board of Ordnance initials. Central brick wall, painted, to the north of which the structure continues for another 14 x 15 bays to rear wall which has round-arched windows; the majority of columns and roof construction here are similar in detail to those already noted; some bays rebuilt in C20.

Subsidiary features: range to west alongside the River Lea, of brown brick with hipped Welsh slate roofs; two-storey east elevation of 26-window range, has raised storey band and gauged flat brick arches over doors and 12-pane sashes; similar west elevation has timber-framed carpenters' shop to the rear.

History: the machine shop was the largest and most important of the new buildings erected on the Royal Small Arms site in 1854-58, the result of a movement to centralize small arms production following the poor performance of British-made guns in the early stages of the Crimean War.

------------------------------------ The following building shall be added;

Ordnance Road TQ 39 NE 21/291 Machine Shop and attached range to W. at Royal Ordnance Factory GV II

Small arms factory. 1854-8 for Board of Ordnance. Yellow brick with facade in polychromatic brick with red brick dressings and alternate red and yellow brick voussoirs to arches; gabled Welsh slate roofs. L-plan with range of subsidiary buildings to SW of Machine shop. Italianate style front to Machine Shop. One storey; 23 window range. 3-storey clock tower and belfry to centre, with blind arches to 2nd stage,semi-circular arches with keystones to 3rd stage, stone impost courses and corbelled brick cornice beneath hipped roof; lower stage has semi-circular arch over C20 door with fanlight. Windows with glazing bars set in semi-circular arches linked by red brick impost course; red-brick corbelling beneath frieze of diaper work and moulded stone cornice. Right-side elevation, partly in similar style with semi-circular arches over doors and windows, has range of 9 north-light gables. Interior: 12x14 bays to front, defined by cast-iron columns at 20 foot intervals, supporting wrought-iron trusses with rooflights; all columns cast withBoard of Ordnance initials. Subsidiary features: range to west, adjoining river Lea, of brown brick with hipped Welsh slate roofs; 2-storey east elevation, of 26-window range, has raised storey band and gauged flat brick arches over doors and 12-pane sashes; similar west elevation has timber-framed carpenters' shop to rear. History: the machine shop was the largest and most important of the new buildings erected on the Royal Small Arms site in 1854-8, the result of a movement to centralize small arms production following the poor performance of British-made guns in the early stages of the Crimean War.

Area of machine shop of 14 x 15 bays to rear of central brick plinth and wall is not of special architectural interest.

Part of this building is in the District of Epping Forest.

Listing NGR: TQ3721798378

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0168 IOE Records taken by Mark Berry; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Mark Berry. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Berry, Mark

Rights Holder: Berry, Mark

Keywords

Brick, Timber, Welsh Slate, Victorian Ordnance Factory, Industrial, Armament Manufacturing Site, Factory, Industrial Building, Carpenters Workshop, Timber Product Site, Wood Processing Site, Wood Workers Workshop, Craft Industry Site, Workshop, Building, Unassigned