This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST34NE MARK THE CAUSEWAY (South side) 436/9/10005
Methodist Chapel II
Nonconformist chapel. Dated 1797; manse reconstructed circa 1900. Painted Flemish bond brick. Pantile mansard roof with coped west gable end.
PLAN: Rectangular single-cell chapel, with entrance at west end under a gallery. Manse on north side converted to church rooms and kitchen.
EXTERIOR: Chapel has 3 round-headed windows on south side with later 16-pane sashes with top lights. Smaller round-headed window in east gable end. West gable end has small round- headed window with later frame and doorway below with plain frame and plank double-doors. Manse on north side facing road, gable-ended pantile roof, 2 storeys, upper windows blocked, C20 ground floor windows and brick gabled porch at centre with side door.
INTERIOR: Auditorium of chapel has plastered barrel-vaulted ceiling; and gallery at west end on slender iron columns, with panelled front, and with benches. The tiered seating on the side walls has been removed and the rostrum is missing. Panelled internal porch under gallery, and later Cl9 panelled screen below gallery front.
Listing NGR: ST3597047555
© Michael Bass. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bass, Michael
Rights Holder: Bass, Michael
Brick, Pantile, Georgian Nonconformist Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Chapel, Place Of Worship