This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SO5140SW WIDEMARSH STREET 683-1/8/342 (East side) 10/06/52 No.42 Gate House
Formerly known as: No.131A WIDEMARSH STREET. Also known as: Farmer's Club WIDEMARSH STREET. House, now club. Early C17 with C19 additions. Timber-frame and plaster; ashlar to ground floor; twin-gabled slate roof; brick end stack to left. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellar; 4-window range: 1/1 sashes in moulded cases under moulded bressumer with moulded pendants and brackets; twin gables have 2/2 casements under arch-braces; moulded barge-boards with pendants; close-studding with painted incised plaster-CR, IR, under crowns at gables. Four 1/1 sashes in moulded cases in ashlar, under moulded bressumer; centre left window (blocked doorway) has flat hood on console brackets, enriched with figures. Wing to left of coursed sandstone rubble with C20 entrance doors recessed under moulded sandstone case. Rear has 4 gables (ER & CR under crowns, painted incised plaster); central brick stack; moulded bressumer to 2nd floor. Left returned side: gable end has jettied 2nd storey on moulded bressumer with carved brackets; traces of pilasters; C20 leaded casement under moulded barges; sandstone rubble to 1st floor, close- studding over. Ground floor has C20 leaded casement under oak lintel; studded plank door to left, with wrought-iron hinges. INTERIOR: dogleg staircase with turned balusters. Front left has moulded, ogee-stop chamfered ceiling beams; frame beam with dragon beam and carved bracket. C17 carved panelling and C18 panelling; moulded stone fireplace with carved overmantel; inscription on lintel, "When ye sytle by yr fyre to keepe yrselfes warme, take heede leaste yr tongues doe yr nayboure noe harme". Front right has panelling (some relocated in C19) and moulded ceiling beams with ogee-stopped chamfers. Plaster is inscribed and painted with flowers. Rear: bressumer has chamfered bracket visible. 1st floor right has moulded ceiling beams and moulded plaster ceiling; cornices with roundels of apples, hops, and barley; moulded stone fireplace. Moulded ceiling beams in ballroom, and reused panelling over bar. Date of 1621 carved in stone doorhead on ground floor. Plaque records reconstruction in 1958. David Cox taught painting here. (Golly H: Memoir of the Life of D.Cox: 1873-: 36; RCHME: 83).
Listing NGR: SO5103440209
This is part of the Series: IOE01/0742 IOE Records taken by Derek Foxton; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
© Dr Derek Foxton. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Foxton, Derek
Rights Holder: Foxton, Derek
Ashlar, Plaster, Rubble, Sandstone, Slate, Timber, Tudor Jettied House, Elizabethan Monument <By Form>, Stuart Jettied Building, Jacobean Timber Framed Building, Timber Framed House, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, School, Education, Training School, Plaque, Club, Recreational