This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST 46 SW CONGRESBURY C.P. CHURCH DRIVE (east side)
4/96 The Vicarage and The Refectory 9.2.61 (formerly listed as The Vicarage)
Vicarage and former Priest's House, now used for parish functions. Early C19 Vicarage to left-hand, c.1446 former Priest's House to right hand. Vicarage of limewashed render with stone plinth and parapet, ashlar to porch and hipped double Roman tile roof. Rectangular block of 2 storeys, 3 bays. All windows are 12- pane sashes. West entrance front with recessed central section and Greek Doric distyle porch in antis with fluted columns and triglyph frieze. 2-leaf small pane glazed doors. Refectory of limewashed render and dressed stone to buttresses and south-east porch gable face. Pantile roofs and coped stone gables.
L-shaped plan with right-hand advanced porch of 2 storeys. Windows to main range are of 2-lights with cinquefoil-cusped heads under flat lintels with hoodmoulds and face stops. Cross-mullions to ground floor, single lights above. Offset buttresses between. Porch gable end has a pointed-arched doorway with inner order on shafts and capitals, decorative order of filigree dogtooth ornament and several further moulded orders with hoodmould and angel stops holding heraldic shields. Further angel at arch centre, all with heads missing. Offset diagonal buttresses, cross-mullion window to parvise above porch and a winged angel in square niche holding a scroll. Benches either side inside porch, moulded 4-panel compartmented ceiling and Tudor-arched doorway with plank door. East end stone stack with moulded cap, left-hand Vicarage has 2 brick stacks. Interior.
Refectory ground floor room (hall) has a 6-panel compartmented ceiling and stone stairs built on to north external wall up to room above. The space now occupied by the 2 rooms may once have been an open hall. Upper room stair doorway in Tudor-arched and the roof is of 3 bays with 2 cambered arch braced collar trusses and 3 tiers of wind braces (all renewed). Similar structure with renewal over parvise. Coved compartmented ceiling in east end upper room and carved stone fireplace with moulded basket-handle arch and decorative frieze of quatrefoils and mouchettes. The eastern range comprising the Refectory was built by executors of Bishop Beckington of Wells whose heraldic devices and those of the Poulteney family are on the porch. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958; Architect's Journal, 1977).
Listing NGR: ST4360063797
This is part of the Series: IOE01/0144 IOE Records taken by Mike Bedingfield; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
© Mike Bedingfield. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bedingfield, Mike
Rights Holder: Bedingfield, Mike
Ashlar, Pantile, Render, Roman Tile, Stone, Timber, Medieval Open Hall House, Monument (By Form), Hall House, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Priests House, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, Vicarage, Parish Hall, Civil, Meeting Hall, Public Building, Coat Of Arms, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument