This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST 46 SE WRINGTON C.P. STATION ROAD (west side)
5/157 Church of All Saints 9.2.61 G.V. I
Anglican parish church. C13 foundation, remodelled with the addition of a west tower c.1450, restored 1859 with further restoration to tower in 1948. Finely jointed squared and coursed dressed stone, some coursed rubble to clerestory, with ashlar dressings, stone copings and stone tile roof to chancel, lead roofs to remainder. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles, south porch.
5-light Perpendicular windows with panelled, chevron cusped tracery and hoodmoulds to both aisles, similar 3-light windows to clerestory. Chancel has 3-light Perpendicular window to north and south walls but a renewed 5-light C13 east window with Decorated tracery. Buttresses with set-offs, gargoyles and crocketted pinnacles to aisles, trefoil pierced triangular parapets to aisles and nave. Fine angelus bell turret with pierced panelled sides to nave-chancel gable apex. 2 statue niches to chancel angle buttresses. Tall 4-stage tower with set-back buttresses which develop into crocketted pinnacles at top stage, moulded string courses and trefoil pierced triangular parapet with gargoyles and corner pinnacles. West facade has Tudor-arched doorway with panelled reveals and heraldic shields to spandrels. 2-leaf plank and batten door. 5-light window above. 2nd stage to north and south has blind 2-light openings with hoodmoulds and lozenge stops.
Bell openings with close piercing. South porch with set-back buttresses, quatrefoil pierced parapet and south-east corner stair turret. Hollow-moulded outer doorway and similarly moulded inner door with hoodmould and 2-leaf plank door. Statue niche with headless statue above door and stone early C19 busts to John Locke and Hannah More either side of door. Face corbels for former parvise above. Interior. 4-bay nave arcades with clustered shafts and vestigial floral and figure capitals. Compartmented tie beam roof with carved bosses and angel corbels. Tower arch has panelled reveals and fine fan vault below bell stage. Tie beam roofs to aisles, C19 barrel vault to chancel. Fittings. Nave has Perpendicular octagonal font with angel panels, C16 rood screen with some renewal, C19 Perpendicular style pulpit and in the south aisle, stone effigy of a priest of c.1340. Wall monument to Hannah More of 1833 above south door.
Chancel has 1832 Gothic reredos by Charles Barry. Late C19 stained glass in aisles, east window and tower west window. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST4678862719
© Mike Bedingfield. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bedingfield, Mike
Rights Holder: Bedingfield, Mike
Ashlar, Lead, Rubble, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Effigy, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Bust, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Sculpture, Garden Ornament, Wall Monument, Anglican Church
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.