Calne Free Church

Date:
14 Jan 2001
Location:
Calne Free Church, Mill Street, Calne, North Wiltshire, Wiltshire, SN11 0HU
Show all locations
Calne Free Church, Church Street, Calne, North Wiltshire, Wiltshire, SN11 0HU
Reference:
IOE01/02516/02
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

CALNE

ST9971 CHURCH STREET 755-1/4/99 (North side) Calne Free Church

GV II

Church. 1867. By W Stent of Warminster. Squared, rusticated limestone with ashlar dressings and quoins, crested plain tile roof. Rectangular plan with bell tower to the front left (NW); north aisle with higher north transept extending to the line of the aisle (no south aisle) and angled buttresses. Gothic Revival Middle Pointed style. The front gable end has a cinquefoil opening to the apex over a large pointed-arched, casement-moulded, 4-light window with foliate capitals to shafts and geometrical tracery. The planked doors with decorative hinges are set in a pointed-arched doorway with hollow-moulded stops springing from low offset buttresses, the intrados has soft red stone colonnettes with floral caps and plinths. The bell tower has a quatrefoiled parapet with dragon gargoyles; the 2-light bell opening has floral stops to the hoodmould, quatrefoil and trefoil tracery and scallop-edged slate louvres. A string course over a single-light pointed-arched window with similar tracery is above a smaller door than the main one, similar but with a stilted arch. The left return has a 2-light window to the tower, and the north aisle which projects to the same line has 3 paired trefoil-headed windows to the clerestory. The gabled north transept has a 3-light pointed-arched window without a hoodmould; the tall hipped square stair turret has circular windows and a timber porch to a pointed-arched door. To the rear the semicircular apse and curved hipped roof has a moulded eaves cornice, 5 pointed-arched windows and cill string. The right return is obscured by other premises, not included. INTERIOR: modest and virtually unchanged. 10-bay scissor-braced planked roof over clerestorey of paired coloured leaded windows; the north aisle is separated by an arcade of 4 Transitional-style round piers supporting pointed arches, smaller to the west end giving access to the belltower and larger to the north-east transept. The arch to the apse is supported by colonnettes on high corbels. The apse has small polychromatic tiles to the floor and a dado approx 2m high of brown glazed geometrical relief-pattern tiles below 5 tall delicate geometrical-design stained-glass windows. These are flanked by panels of glazed tiles painted with mottos on scrolls around olive branches, after the style of William Morris. The glass of the west window is similar to that of the apse. The original painted organ, pinewood pews and pulpit remain. An unusually complete interior. HISTORICAL NOTE: the church was built under the patronage of the Harris family (local wholesale butchers). (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Cherry B: Wiltshire: London: 1975-: 154).



Listing NGR: ST9985671018

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1485 IOE Records taken by David Nunn; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr David Nunn. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Nunn, David

Rights Holder: Nunn, David

Keywords

Ashlar, Limestone, Tile, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel

Back
to top