St Mary's Alms Houses And Chapel Of St Mary
- 20 Aug 2000
- St Mary's Alms Houses And Chapel Of St Mary, Church Lane, Godstone, Tandridge, Surrey, RH9 8BW
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 35SE GODSTONE C.P. CHURCH LANE GODSTONE 6/72 St Mary's Alms Houses 11.6.58 and Chapel of St Mary
Alms house row and chapel. 1872 by sir G.G. Scott in C17 vernacular style. Timber framed with incised decoration in rendered infill, plain tiled roofs with ridge cresting on chapel and large stack to left end, left of centre, right of centre, and right end on alms house row.
8 alms houses with chapel projecting to left and wing projecting to right end to form courtyard in front of building. One and two storeys, irregular facades, built into hillside.
Chapel to left end: two storeys to front, one storey to rear with coved eaves to roof and shingled lead fleche over east end. Gabled end to street jettied on first floor with end brackets. Central angle bay to ground floor with leaded casement windows. Planked door to centre of south side (right) in gabled porch with date 1872 inscribed in gable.
Interior:Two bay timber framed nave with stone fireplace to west end.
Neo-Norman chancel to east with round chancel arch, mosiac inlay and wrought iron screen.
Main Almshouse range to right: single storey to left with two gabled mullion and transom leaded casements across. Planked door in gabled timber framed porch. Large two storey gabled bay to right with first floor jettied on brackets. Central leaded mullion and transom casement window in angled bay on ground floor. Entrance porch set back to right of gable with open Tudor arched recess porch, gabled floor above with carving in archspandrels. Further one storey, two windowed, range to right with central gabled porch and planked door. End wing pro- jecting to right with gabled front to street and on left hand side.
Single storey rendered C20 extension on right end. The almshouses form an important group in the lane and were designed to compliment the church to their left.
Listing NGR: TQ3569951480
© Mr W J Smith. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Smith, W J
Rights Holder: Smith, W J
Lead, Render, Tile, Timber, Victorian Jettied House, Monument <By Form>, Jettied Building, Timber Framed Building, Timber Framed House, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Almshouse, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare, Residential Building, Chapel, Place Of Worship