This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BADMINTON C.P. HIGH STREET (south side) ST 8082 12/51 The Almshouses and former School 3.3.61 and Boundary Walls and G.V. Gate piers to the road
Row of 7 almshouses, now 4 almshouses and a disused school. Circa 1707-09 built by Thomas Hayward of Badminton, for Mary, first Duchess of Beaufort. Rendered with freestone quoins; hipped Cotswold stone slate roof; ashlar stacks with cornice; coved eaves cornice. Queen Anne style. 2 storeys. 3:3:3:3:3 bays; the outer and central parts are slightly advanced and are surmounted by coped pediments which bear the Beaufort arms in the tympanum (full armorial bearings with crests and supporters to the centre, diamond shield in elaborate cartouche under a coronet to the ends). 2-light cross windows with diamond pattern lead glazing. Plain square headed door openings between each window; panelled doors with upper 2-lights glazed with diamond pattern lead cames; central door has ashlar bolection moulded surround. Low, coped coursed squared rubble boundary walls; central ashlar gatepiers with ball finials.
Listing NGR: ST8042582677
This is part of the Series: IOE01/0750 IOE Records taken by Lorna Freeman; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
© Lorna Freeman. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Freeman, Lorna
Rights Holder: Freeman, Lorna
Ashlar, Cotswold Stone, Freestone, Render, Rubble, Stuart Gate Pier, Georgian Unassigned, Boundary Wall, Monument (By Form), Wall, Barrier, Boundary, School, Education, Almshouse, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare, Domestic, Residential Building, Coat Of Arms, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument