Moredon Aqueduct

Date:
5 Aug 2001
Location:
Moredon Aqueduct, Purton, North Wiltshire, Wiltshire
Reference:
IOE01/02535/29
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SU 18 NW PURTON -

9/270 Moredon Aqueduct

II

Aqueduct to carry the North Wilts Canal over the River Ray. 1813- 1819. Three brick culverts each of 1 brick ring. Stone string above and high walls in English bond with end piers and curved wing walls. Stone copings. Derelict at June 1985, the downstream wall partly collapsed. The only significant monument of this canal which linked the Wilts and Berks Canal at Swindon to the Thames and Severn Canal at Latton, and which much facilitated navigation from the west to London avoiding the upper Thames. (Hadfield.C: The Canals of the South and South East of England, 1969.)

Listing NGR: SU1138387831

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1597 IOE Records taken by Chris Pocock; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Chris Pocock. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Pocock, Chris

Rights Holder: Pocock, Chris

Keywords

Brick, Stone, Georgian Aqueduct, Transport, Water Transport Site, Water Supply And Drainage, Watercourse

Back
to top