This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ASHLEWORTH QUAY LANE SO 8025-8125 7/17 Ashleworth Court (formerly listed as Ashleworth 10-1-55 Court, Ashleworth Quay) GV I Farmhouse. About 1460 for Bristol Abbey, altered C17, second half C19 by and for T. Fulljames, early C20. Coursed, squared blue lias, ashlar to openings, tiled roof. Four-room main block, cross wing projecting only at rear, oriel in angle: single-storey wing other end. Generally, windows and doorways with hoodmoulds and voussoir-relieving arches, latter omitted close under eaves: parapet gables with cross-gablet apices. Front, west elevation: windows to left of cross passage mullion and transom. Cross wing on left does not project: ground floor 3-light window, flat head, no hoodmould; above 2-light window, arched head; gable over. To right 2 tall 2-light windows originally to Great Hall: sills lowered to different levels in C19 and C20. Boarded door to cross passage. Three irregularly-spaced lancets to right, trefoil heads, flat hoodmoulds, sunk spandrels to left pair, leaf carving to wider right-hand one. Above two 2-light mullioned windows, trefoil heads to lights, flat hoodmould: left window at some stage had been a door, cutting away relieving arch of window below. Three ridge chimneys, that on right of cross passage with crenellated top.
Rear elevation: wall thickened externally on left, single-storey left wing with storerooms projects. To right boarded door, 2 lancets and boarded door to cross passage, only last with hoodmould, relieving arches only to doors. Above 3 corbels for wallplate and stone string marking top of former lean-to roof.
Two-light mullioned window as front, and small quatrefoil window.
Two tall windows to Great Hall as front, sills similarly lowered.
Oriel, left return boarded door, cambered stone arch (probably C19 opening): relieving arch for former window: lancet above as front; render on brick to gable, no copings. Main face lancet as front ground floor, 2-light mullioned window above: small ogee- headed lancet at half level for stairs. Cross wing, C20 metal French doors ground floor left return, lancet as front above: gable, on left scar of former narrow wing, jamb of blocked door above and line of roof: to right 2-light casement, iron opening light on ground floor, cambered stone arch. Above 2-light mullioned window, shouldered arches to lower part, plain triangles above, inscribed TF 1870; quatrefoil over. Lateral chimney right return behind lean-to room.
Interior: cross passage: door and blocked door right, latter to former stairs. Two service rooms in line, outline of blocked wide fireplace in gable wall. Great hall originally to left, open to roof; C17 floor inserted, divided into 2 rooms: ceiling in 12 compartments, with deep, chamfered beams. Partition to cross passage timber framed, ignoring ceiling beams. Oriel with spiral stone staircase: stone paving in front room in cross wing, C19 stone fireplace: exposed ceiling joists. First floor C17 handrail stairs, plain, splat balusters: 2 stone heads; moulded wooden cornice. Room adjoining cross wing open to roof: arch-braced collar trusses, braces from stone corbels: moulded, crenellated wallplate, 2 pairs butt purlins, chamfered with pyramid stops, square ridge, curved windbraces in 3 tiers. Service end, ceiling in 3 bays, each in 3 sections: last bay subdivided probably late C19. Cross wing, loft inserted C17, three posts to carry ends main beams: front room 3 bays, trusses and roof as hall, with trusses against gable and stud partition: single rear bay originally open to roof also, but simple wallplate and no windbraces. Forms important group with church and tithe barn (q.v.).
(M. Wood, Medieval English House, 1965; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970)
Listing NGR: SO8186625222