All Saints Church
- 26 Jul 2000
- All Saints Church, The Street, Long Sutton, Hart, Hampshire, RG29 1SS
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SU 74 NW LONG SUTTON THE STREET (North Side)
11/35 All Saints Church
C13, C15 and modern. Single cell of nave and chancel, with a slightly later chapel attached on the south side of the nave. All of the C13, with a modern north vestry and south porch; C15 timber-framed belfry rising through the centre of the nave. Red tile roof, bell-turret has a pyramid roof with shingles and weather-boarded walling. Walling is roughcast or rendering on flint and stone core, the new vestry is in red brick. Windows are all original lancets, with a circular light above the 2 at the east end, but there is also a traceried 2-light window on the north wall of 1340, a west window of 1862, and restored triple lancets in the east wall of the chapel. The timber-framed porch has a single-slope tile roof, scalloped barge-board, and panelled side frame above a lower wall. Inside, the main timber supports to the belfy are arch-braced( there is a chancel arch of the late C19, a single 13 arch (to the chapel) on -round columns, and a font. The south chapel has an ogee leaded niche above a trefoil piscina, a painted Royal Coat of Arms of George IV. 3 bells of circa 1520 are chimed.
Listing NGR: SU7391647347
© Mr John Porter. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Porter, John
Rights Holder: Porter, John
Brick, Flint, Render, Roughcast, Stone, Tile, Weatherboard, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship