This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL 61 NE GREAT WALTHAM NORTH END
719/1/233 Black Chapel
One of the few remaining "peculiar" chapels (outside the authority of the diocesan bishops), and said to be a monastic chapel probably Augustinian. It dates from the late C15 and has a priests house attached, now occupied by the caretaker. It is a small timber-framed building consisting of a nave, a C19 aisle on the north side and a tiny chancel. The nave is of 4 unequal bays and the C19 windows pointed heads rise above the level of the roof on the south side and are enclosed by 3 gabled dormers. There is a small bell core at the west end faced with cedar shingles. The chancel is of. 2 small bays with a small window in each wall. The interior is particularly interesting and little changed since the C18. On the north side of the nave are 12 C15 benches, on the south side C18-C19 box pews with some C17 panelling incorporated and a double decker pulpit. At the west end is a small gallery containing a tiny barrel organ. probably over 100 years old. Beween the nave and chancel is a Cl5-Cl6 screen of 9 bays with traceried heads.The roof of the nave formerly had tie beams but these have been cut off to form hammer beams. There is a miniature font. The building was restored after bomb damage in the 1939-45 war. (RCHM 2 ).
Listing NGR: TL6626117934
© Mr Peter J Wade. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Wade, Peter J
Rights Holder: Wade, Peter J
Cedar, Timber, Medieval Timber Framed Building, Tudor Monument (By Form), Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Augustinian Monastery, Monastery, Religious House