Chapels In Tottenham Cemetery
- 7 Jan 2001
- Chapels In Tottenham Cemetery, Church Lane, Tottenham, Haringey, Greater London
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 33 91 HARINGEY CHURCH LANE
800-/7/10022 Chapels in Tottenham Cemetery
Pair of cemetery chapels. 1856-7 by George Prichett. Kentish ragstone ashlar dressings, fishscale slate roofs with iron crestings. Anglical and non-conformist chapels linked by shared bellcote (no bell) and small room over central arched carriageway, and porches. The non-conformist chapel now used as a store. The structure of each chapel is identical: of three bays with lower, angled apse and with a porch each side that forms a strong cross-axis to the composition. Windows and bellcote all with cusped decorated tracery, the smaller windows in the apse with square heads and with recticulated tracery in the liturgical 'west' window.
Stone cross on gables of bellcote and the small window behind it. The carriage arch is vaulted, with stone ribs and bosses.
The interiors have open timber truss roofs, tiled floors, panelling to impost level and tinted quarry glass. The Anglican chapel retains its pews. Late C19 stained glass in 'east' and 'west' windows, the latter depicting the resurrection. Non-conformist chapel has lost its pews, but is unpainted and has C20 glass in 'east' and 'west' windows.
Source Hugh Meller, London Cemeteries, Cambridge University Press, 1981, p. 269
Listing NGR: TQ3335991135
© Quentin Ball. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Ball, Quentin
Rights Holder: Ball, Quentin
Ashlar, Slate, Timber, Victorian Anglican Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Cemetery Chapel, Storehouse, Unassigned, Building