This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TOWN HALL APPROACH ROAD (west side) TQ 3389 26/284 Former County School
School. Built 1913 by H Goothall. English bond red brick with limestone dressings; hipped Welsh slate roofs; brick stacks with moulded caps. Edwardian Baroque style. 3 storeys. 3:5:3 fenestration with taller central block brought forward.
Central block: ground floor of channelled stone rustication has 12-pane sashes set in semi-circular arched architraves with projecting apron blocks, which are divided at impost level by the bases of Ionic pilasters with festooned volutes which articulate upper storey; central bay has square-headed window beneath tall semi-circular arched window framed by open pediment set on similar engaged Ionic columns. Other first floor windows have 12-pane sashes set in eared architraves with carved tassels to corners of panelled aprons. Modillioned cornice. Glazed cupola on roof. Outer blocks each have ashlar ground floor with semi-circular- arched doorway framed in classical architrave with entablature set on paired and engaged Ionic coloumns; tripartite windows with glazing bars and similar first floor windows set in moulded stone architraves with panelled aprons, flanked by scrolls to centre. 3-bay side walls in matching style. Rear walls of yellow brick with gauged red brick flat arches over casements. Classrooms surround quadrangle to rear. Interior: ground-floor assembly room with moulded beams and cornices; first-floor gym has iron-braced collar-truss roof and panelled transverse partition.
Listing NGR: TQ3362289436
© Quentin Ball. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Ball, Quentin
Rights Holder: Ball, Quentin
Brick, Limestone, Welsh Slate, 20th Century School, Education