Warehouse Of Beck's British Carnival Novelties Limited / Almeida Theatre

Date:
6 Jun 2000
Location:
Warehouse Of Beck's British Carnival Novelties Limited, Almeida Street, Islington, Greater London, N1 1TA
Show all locations
Almeida Theatre, Almeida Street, Islington, Greater London, N1 1TA
Reference:
IOE01/02560/12
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

ISLINGTON

TQ3183NE ALMEIDA STREET 635-1/59/6 (South side) 29/09/72 Almeida Theatre (Formerly Listed as: ALMEIDA STREET Warehouse of Beck's British Carnival Novelties Limited)

GV II

Former Islington Literary and Scientific Institute; subsequently used as a music hall from 1874, as a Salvation Army citadel from 1890, when the interior was considerably altered, as a warehouse from 1956, and as a theatre from 1980.

c.1837 by Robert Lewis Roumieu and Alexander Dick Gough. Built by W.S.Dove. Stucco scored as ashlar, roofs of Welsh slate so far as visible. Two storeys over basement, five bays to Almeida Street forming a symmetrical facade, the middle three bays projecting. In a stripped Classical style, the capitals consisting of rectilinear mouldings simply stepped-out, and pediments of unmoulded blocks. Steps up to original entrances either side of the main front in single-storey wings: flat-arched under porches with antae, entablature and block pediment to blocking course; panelled doors of original design. Additional doors to second and fourth bays, the other openings 4/4 sashes. All openings flanked by pilasters with stepped capitals, the projecting centrepiece flanked by giant antae rising through two storeys. On the first floor the order is the same except that the middle three windows are stepped back to create a distyle arrangement of antae. Entablature and blocking course with central pediment. INTERIOR: in the 1890s the auditorium was reversed in direction from the original lecture hall, and now has a gallery carried on cast-iron columns at the northern end, the balcony being five sides of an octagon in plan with its front face decorated with anaglypta. (Historians' file, English Heritage London Division; Almeida Theatre. The building and its past (leaflet)).

Listing NGR: TQ3164783990

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/2045 IOE Records taken by G N G Tingey; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr G.N.G. Tingey. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Tingey, G.N.G.

Rights Holder: Tingey, G.N.G.

Keywords

Ashlar, Stucco, Welsh Slate, Georgian Literary And Scientific Institute, Victorian Education, Institute, Music Hall, Recreational, Music Speech And Dance Venue, Mission Hall, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare, Warehouse, Commercial, Theatre, Steps, Transport, Pedestrian Transport Site

Back
to top