This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ3284SW ALWYNE ROAD 635-1/54/12 (North West side) 20/09/54 No.7 (Formerly Listed as: ALWYNE ROAD Garden Tower)
Detached house. c.1855. Developed, and probably designed, by James Wagstaffe, and incorporating part of a former late C16 octagonal garden house from Old Canonbury House (cf. no 4 Alwyne Villas, q.v.) Yellow brick set in Flemish bond, stucco and roofs of slate, the brickwork of the former garden house covered with stucco. The 1850s wing has three storeys over basement, two bays wide, basement stuccoed with banded rustication. Ground and first-floor windows flat-arched with moulded architraves but cornices and consoles now lost; balconies and iron railings to ground-floor windows. Second-floor windows have architraves now unmoulded and dying into cornice band. Boxed eaves, side stack and hipped roof. A single-storey porch wing linking the 1850s part to the former garden house has steps up to flat-arched entrance with Doric pilasters, cornice and moulded blocking course, panelled door and overlight. The former garden house is covered with stucco scored as ashlar in places; two windows in south-west side, one to basement flat-arched under a continuous hoodmould; cambered-arched window to ground floor on this side and on opposite side. Octagonal chimneystack to north-west side, facing into Alwyne Place. No.7 was first included in the List of 29/09/72, and the Garden Tower has been incorporated into it. (Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).
Listing NGR: TQ3206384404
© Mr G.N.G. Tingey. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Tingey, G.N.G.
Rights Holder: Tingey, G.N.G.
Brick, Slate, Stucco, Tudor Garden House, Elizabethan Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Building, Steps, Transport, Pedestrian Transport Site, House, Monument (By Form), Domestic, Dwelling