Church Of St Mary And St Peter
- 17 Jun 2001
- Church Of St Mary And St Peter, Church Road, Winford, North Somerset, Somerset
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST 56 NW WINFORD C.P. CHURCH ROAD (north side)
3/119 Church of S.S. Mary and Peter 11.10.81 G.V. II*
Anglican parish church. C15 west tower, main body rebuilt 1796, restored in 1820 with further late C19 restoration. Finely jointed squared and coursed dressed stone to tower and plinth of remainder, coursed rubble to main body with slate roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles. 4-stage tower with set back buttresses, moulded string courses and north-east corner polygonal stair turret. Trefoil-headed open panel parapet with corner crocketted pinnacles and fine gargoyles. Top 3 stages have 2-light openings with hoodmoulds and lozenge stops, those below bell stage blind, those to bell stage louvred. 1st stage of west facade has deeply moulded pointed-arched doorway with 2-leaf doors and applied Gothick mouldings; light with intersecting tracery above. Above this a 3-light Gothick window. Simple pointed-arched lights with flat section surrounds and leaded lights to nave. Chancel has two C19 Perpendicular style windows under pointed heads. Chancel parapet has obelisk finials. Interior. Tower arch with 2 orders of wave moulding, 4-bay nave arcades with clustered shafts and pointed arches. Roof over nave and chancel is compartmented with leaf spray rosettes in each panel. This rests on winged cherub corbels. Fittings. West gallery with turned balusters on cast iron piers recording date of rebuilding (1796) and restoration (1820). Good panelled screen to tower arch. Plain Perpendicular style font, wooden Gothick pulpit. 4 wooden prayer boards in chancel. Stained glass heraldic shields to nave windows, east window has 1889 stained glass. Altar rails of similar form to gallery balustrade. Coat of arms below tower on canvas in wooden frame: G.R. III. Benefactions board opposite dated 1813. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5430665014
© N.L. Stones. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Stones, N.L.
Rights Holder: Stones, N.L.
Rubble, Slate, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument