This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WELL HALL ROAD (West Side)
TQ 4275 48/82 Coronet Cinema
Former Odeon, now Coronet cinema. 1936 by Andrew Mather and Horace Ward.
Built of brick with faience cladding to front; flat roof. 2 storeys.
Rectangular plan with projecting round glazed staircase tower and canopied circular foyer with 3 double doors. Flat brick buttresses to stepped rear elevation. Interior: foyer has original pay-box and circular "Odeon" sign set in terrazzo floor, leading to stalls foyer with good etched glass mirror (depicting cinema scene) and staircase with stepped handrail to return flight.
Circle foyer retains original curved lights and grilles. Auditorium of double height with curved balcony; proscenium arch with simple rib work around screen;, coved ceiling, with lighting set in soffits and decorative grilles to rear; ribbed walls have round vents over curved wooden dado; original lighting system and carbon-arc projection retained.
(R. Clegg, 0deon, 1985)
Listing NGR: TQ4244675420
© Nick Blackburn. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Blackburn, Nick
Rights Holder: Blackburn, Nick
Brick, Faience, 20th Century Cinema, Recreational