The Manor House

Date:
28 Sep 2000
Location:
The Manor House, Worton Road, Potterne, Kennet, Wiltshire
Reference:
IOE01/02574/15
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

ST 9958 POTTERNE WORTON ROAD

14/177 The Manor House

GV II

Country House, now County Fire Bridgade HQ, later C18 extended 1888-9 in similar style, ashlar with hipped slate roofs and ashlar stacks. Two storeys, L-plan extended to roughly square. Main south front of 1:3:1:3:1 windows, the centre and angle bays set back flanking projecting sections with full-height canted 3-window bays. Windows in moulded architraves, 12-pane sashes to first floor, C19 plate glass sashes below. Centre has glazed door with overlight set in shallow screen of 2 Roman Doric columns in antis.

Across whole front, raised plinth, panelled band, modillion cornice and parapet. Broad 3-window east entrance front has similar detail to outer bays but projecting centre added 1889, with dentil cornice, paired first floor sashes over broad panel with roundel monogram of J.R.G. Gwatkin and glazed door with overlight and sidelights set behind screen of 2 columns on high base. West front, partly screened by brick additions is in similar style to main front but may be mostly of 1888-9, 4-window range, with tripartite sashes to each floor in one bay, 12-pane sashes to rest of first floor and C19 three-light mullion window and door in C19 tiled porch to ground floor. North end wall, to road, is blank with main mouldings carried across and large carved Gwatkin arms to first floor, dated 1889. Recessed rear of main range is 3-storey, apparently late C19. Interior not inspected.

Manor of Potterne was held by the Bishops of Salisbury until 1836, a Manor House is mentioned in a lease of 1770. In 1836 sold to Major H. S. Olivier and in 1878 to J. Gwatkin.

Listing NGR: ST9892658274

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0354 IOE Records taken by Gill Cardy; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Gill Cardy. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cardy, Gill

Rights Holder: Cardy, Gill

Keywords

Ashlar, Brick, Slate, Georgian Counting House, Domestic, House, Dwelling, Manor House, Fire Station, Civil, Transport

Back
to top