Church Of All Saints
- 5 Oct 2000
- Church Of All Saints, All Saints Road, West Lavington, Kennet, Wiltshire, SN10 4LT
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WEST LAVINGTON ALL SAINTS ROAD SU 0053 13/273 Church of All Saints 19.3.62 GV I Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15 and reworked in 1847 by T.H. Wyatt. Greensand rubble and squared stone. Limestone ashlar to chancel. Slate roofs but copper to chancel and lead to chapel.
C12 or earlier nave, with late C13-early C14 north aisle and slightly later south aisle and north and south porches. C13 north transept and chancel, with C16 south chapel. C15 chantry chapel converted from south transept. C13 west tower, heightened in C14.
Nave has lancet clerestorey. Aisle windows Cl9, two trefoiled lights. Lancets to chancel, C19 triple lancets at east end. Three light west window, altered. Three light square headed windows and blocked west door to chantry chapel. Tower diminished above roof, and carried on internal arches. Two stages with ogee lights to upper chamber, and 2-light bell openings. Polygonal stair turret with two sundials, and crenellated parapet.
Interior: Tall plastered nave with wide embrasures to clerestorey windows. High lancet in east wall. North arcade of four bays, slightly pointed simple arches with single recessed order on boldly carved capitals and round columns. South arcade also of 4 bays, pointed arches on round columns and capitals. Contemporary tower arch with attached shaft in reveal, and simply chamfered chancel arch. Roof C19 open trussed rafters. Aisles extended by one bay westward to clasp tower. Chancel of four bays with panelled vault.
South priest's door. Large trefoiled piscina. South chapel to chancel is plastered with heavy roof joists. Four light internal window to south aisle. Piscina with bowl on an attached shaft.
Various floor slabs to Becket family and John Harvest of Potterne, died 1671. South transept very wide arch with coarse panelled soffit. Plaster removed from walls. Flagged floor. Moulded east door to lobby leading to south chancel chapel. Tower has arches supporting upper structure. Hood moulding to nave arch removed.
Fittings: Font, reset under tower, late C15-early C16. A shallow bowl on octagonal panelled column, raised on plinth. Chancel completely refitted mid C19. Pulpit C19, oak and panelled. Organ.
Monuments: south chancel chapel: south wall, wall monument C18, white marble raised panel with side pilasters, apron and arched cresting with urn. Arms on pediment. To Thomas a'Beckett, died 1792, wife and descendants added. Marble tablet, 1823 to William a'Beckett. South transept chapel: very fine wall monument.
Carrara marble on black plinth. A reclining figure on sarcophagus, with grottesche. Rear panel supported by scrolls, bearing long inscription in garland. Pulvinus and broken pediment over, with mantled arms and flaming vases. To Henry Danvers, died 1684. Wall tomb. C15, containing image of a lady in limestone, with wimple chatelaine and purse. Wall tomb, white and black marbles. A very relaxed lady in veil, reading, shield behind her head. To Elizabeth Dantesay, died 1636. West wall: two wall tablets, white marble on grey. To Margaret Henderson, died 1840, and Amelia Kelsey, died 1841, by Osmund. East wall Gothic aedicule.
Limestone, to Rev Robert Caswall, died 1846. North Transept: Ten monuments. East wall: Handsome wall monument, 1732. Framed panel with side scrolls. Putti on apron. Segmental pediment over with applied coloured arms. To Thomas Hunt and family. On north wall (a) William Tinker, 1829; (b) Louisa Tinker of Conock, 1860 by Reeves of Bath. (c) Sarah Frederick, 1832 by Reeves, (d) Urn over tablet on bracket, to Jane Williams, died 1790. (e) Charles Tinker of Littleton House, 1833. On west wall: (f) Oval panel, to John Smith, 1786, (g) Wide sarcophagus. To Thomas Smith, died 1823, by King of Bath. (h) Corniced tablet with urn over. To Sarah Hewett, died 1821, by King. South wall: Aedicule in coloured marbles.
Segmental pediment. Putti on apron. To Sarah Amor of Patney, died 1753. North Aisle: Fine wall monument of 1732, identical to Hunt monument above. To Margaret Hunt, died 1731. Small limestone panel below, to Ienever Ioyerbury, died 1672. Glass: Much stained glass of 1840-60 period. Small medieval figure set in nave east lancet. Roundel of various glass, including medieval, from Ypres Cathedral (non-fixture). Brasses: Chancel chapel: John Kalmus.
North transept: John White, 1693, Thomas White, 1675. Peter Anderton, 1699, all refixed on wall. South chapel: (a) Margaret Dauntesay, 1571, palimpsest on latin brass. (b) John Dauntesay, 1550, palimpsest on a Flemish brass. (c) detached male figure in armour. South aisle: Christopher Merewether, 1660: Katherine Poulgraine, died 1712. Jerome Allsopp, died 1918. Furniture: Late C16 table altar in south chancel chapel. Chained 'Companion to the Temple' Thomas Comber, St. Paul's Churchyard, 1684.
(Pevsner, Buildings of England - Wiltshire; Leele-Hodge, A Guide to Wiltshire Brasses, 1977).
Listing NGR: SU0065653030
© Gill Cardy. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Cardy, Gill
Rights Holder: Cardy, Gill
Ashlar, Copper, Lead, Limestone, Rubble, Sandstone, Slate, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Tomb, Funerary Site, Commemorative Brass, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Wall Monument, Plaque, Sarcophagus, Coffin, Anglican Church