Church Of St Mary
- 28 Aug 2000
- Church Of St Mary, Paddington Green W2, Paddington, City Of Westminster, Greater London, W2 1LG
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 2682 NE CITY OF WESTMINSTER PADDINGTON GREEN, W2 41/1 (west side) 25.9.51 Church of St Mary.
GV II* Church 1788-91 by John Plawwith C19 alterations and restoration of 1972 by Raymond Erith. Yellow-brown brick with ashlar dressings. Slate roof, lead roof to cupola. Greek cross plan, the central square surmounted by cupola with lower, narrower arms. Principal entrance to south arm of cross treated as Doric portico with attached columns distyle in antis with pediment to gable end. Flight of four steps to panelled double-leaf doors in architrave with hood on consoles.
Bowed tetrastyle Tuscan porch to west cross arm with thermal window above.
Venetian window in round-arched recess to east side. To north side a round-arched recess contains a thermal window with a 4-light pilastered window in segmental surround below. Pediments to gable ends. Return walls have niches and square blind panels above. To central block, two levels of small-paned windows with leaded lights under gauged brick arches. Ashlar frieze and cornice. Hipped roof. Octagonal cupola with paired columns to angles. Interior: galleries on three sides supported on columns. Segmental vaults and shallow dome. Original font, pulpit, altar and altar rail.
Listing NGR: TQ2669881748
© Mrs Marion Davies. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Davies, Marion
Rights Holder: Davies, Marion
Ashlar, Brick, Lead, Slate, Georgian Steps, Transport, Pedestrian Transport Site, Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship