This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
DOWGATE HILL EC4 1.
5002 (West Side) Nos 10 to 13 (consec) (Dyers' Hall) TQ 3280 NE 16/422 4.1.50.
1839-40, by Charles Dyer (?), with frontage to College Street. Front block mid/later C19, of Palladian character. 4 storeys plus high basement and dormers. 5 windows plus 1 on a canted corner and 2 to return. Red brick with painted dressings above channelled, arcaded ground storey of stone. Order of 4 Ionic pilasters to 1st and 2nd storeys support pediment with lunette against attic crowned by cornice and parapet. Side windows of 5 lights. Main entrance to right of front with rich cast iron gates. Earlier side elevation stuccoed. 3 storeys. 3 windows but 5 to channelled ground storey. 1st floor windows framed by order of Doric pilasters topped by urns and balustrade beneath square windows above. Large, bracketed cornice with blocking. Area railings with granite posts. Interior approached by vaulted passage, partly floored with decorative tiles. Unremarkable except for Court Room on 1st floor of earlier building. Beamed ceiling (altered) and marbled Corinthian colonnades at either end. Plain chimney-piece of dark marble. Later Cl9 wainscot of mahogany. Scheduled AM.
Listing NGR: TQ3254880846
© Mrs Marion Davies. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Davies, Marion
Rights Holder: Davies, Marion
Brick, Stone, Stucco, Georgian Building, Victorian Unassigned, Gate, Livery Hall, Commercial, Railings, Monument <By Form>, Barrier