Church Of The Ascension
- 27 Jul 2000
- Church Of The Ascension, Sergehill Lane, Abbots Langley, Three Rivers, Hertfordshire, WD5 0RT
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL 00 SE ABBOTS LANGLEY SERGEHILL LANE (Northwest side) Bedmond
3/65 Church of the 9.5.78 Ascension
Parish church. Built in 1880 for 80 given by W.H. Solly. Pre-fabricated in corrugated iron, walls painted cream on a rendered brick plinth.
Gothic Revival Style. W porch. 4 bay nave. SW tower and steeple. 1 bay chancel with vestry outshuts. Gabled entrance porch: pointed arched entrance, cusped finialed bargeboards. W end 2 light Y traceried window with timber hood mould, wavy finialed bargeboards. Tower has a louvred trefoil headed lancet to W, splay footed octagonal belfry with trefoil headed louvred openings. Octagonal spire with elaborate iron finial.
Nave has 4 lancet windows in chamfered timber surrounds to each side.
Chancel E window is 3 lights with intersecting tracery, wavy bargeboards. Lean-to to N with 2 light window to E and an entrance to W.
Smaller lean-to to S with an entrance to E. Interior: completely wood panelled. Simple collar truss roof. Around pointed chancel arch and on wall plates are painted mottos.
Listing NGR: TL0986803891
© John Reeve. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Reeve, John
Rights Holder: Reeve, John
Brick, Iron, Render, Victorian Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship