Parish Church Of St Christopher Willingale Doe
- 23 Aug 2000
- Parish Church Of St Christopher Willingale Doe, Village Street, Willingale, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5 0SJ
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL 50 NE WILLINGALE VILLAGE STREET, (West side), 5/114 Parish Church of 20.2.67 St. Christopher Willingale Doe GV II*
Parish Church, chancel and nave late C14, tower and porch mid C15, north aisle added and rest substantially restored in C19. Walling is of flint rubble with fragments of free stone and Roman bricks, with limestone and clunch dressings.
Nave and chancel roofs are gabled in peg tiles. Chancel has C19 east window but with C15 rear arch and label. North and south walls each have 2 late C14 windows restored. On south wall is a C14 doorway almost entirely reconstructed.
Late C14 chancel arch with 2 hollow chamfered orders and moulded capitals.
The nave has C19 north arcade. In the south wall are 3 late C14 style windows each of 2 lights and the original, late C14 south doorway with moulded jambs, a 2-centred arch and C19 label. The west tower is of 3 stages with an embattled parapet. The bell chamber has 2 light C19 windows on west, south and north faces. The tower arch is of 2 orders, the inner hollow chamfered and continuous, the outer moulded and interrupted by moulded capitals and bases on each respond. Roof of nave has crownposts with straight bracing now encased.
Chancel has a moulded wallplate of C14/C15. South porch is C19 rebuilding of timber and brick structure incorporating simple old crownpost tiebeam and arch braces. This now has turned baluster like mullions. C15 stone font, octagonal with each face having quatrefoils inscribed in circle and blank shields.
Monument in chancel to Robert Wiseman 1641, Richard Wiseman, 1618, and Mary, his wife, 1635. Elaborate of allabaster and marble with 3 Corinthian columns standing on lions head corbels, supporting entablatures and coffered semi- circular vaults. Reclining effigy of man in plate armour on shelf. Smaller kneeling figures in civil costume of man and wife. The Wisemans owned Torrells Hall (item 6/3). Also in chancel, wall monument to Johannes Salter 1744, and in nave, to Winifred Barrington of marble with cupids. Included for Architectural, Historic Landscape and group value. (RCHM 1).
Listing NGR: TL5962607370
© Mr Andrew Pepper. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Pepper, Andrew
Rights Holder: Pepper, Andrew
Brick, Clay, Clunch, Flint, Freestone, Limestone, Rubble, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Wall Monument, Effigy