Parish Church Of St James

Date:
29 Oct 2000
Location:
Parish Church Of St James, High Street, Little Paxton, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE19 6HA
Reference:
IOE01/02585/16
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

LITTLE PAXTON HIGH STREET TL 16 SE (SOUTH SIDE) 3/17 PARISH CHURCH 14. 5.59 OF ST JAMES GV II*

Late C12 parish church of which the chancel remains almost intact with evidence of early window openings in East and South walls, and two almost complete doorways, one reset in the early C16 South aisle wall. North wall of nave is said to have been demolished in the mid C17 and was rebuilt in 1849 when the Church was completely restored. Built into the lower courses of the North wall are some C12 carved stones. West tower c1400, South arcade and aisle c1500, rebuilt in C19. North porch rebuilt in 1849. Walls of pebble rubble, ironstone and limestone dressings. Roofs of tiles and slates. South elevation; West tower of three stages has a chamfered plinth and embattled parapet with grotesque gargoyles at the angles.

Belfrey window converted to two plain lights with a wooden lintel. South aisle has three modern two-light windows. The C12 door is reset and has a fine carved tympanum with a figure of the Good Shepherd, a large cross enclosed in a circle, and a wolf and a lamb. Two chancel windows of C14 and C15; and one 'low-side' C15 window to West of C12 chancel doorway with shouldered corbels. Interior: partly restored C12 chancel arch of one plain square order, and responds each with one attached shaft. Tower-arch of clunch, two-centred, with two moulded orders, semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals. C16 arcade reconstructed in 1849 of four bays with segmental-pointed arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and chamfered basis.

Font with plain octagonal bowl on central chamfered shaft with three small octagonal shafts, C13. Font cover of painted oak C17. Monument to Robert Throckmorton 1698-9.

R.C.H.M. (Hunts), p201 V.C.H. (Hunts), p332 Pevsner, Buildings of England, p286

Listing NGR: TL1890262760

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1932 IOE Records taken by D J Stacey; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr D.J Stacey. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Stacey, D.J

Rights Holder: Stacey, D.J

Keywords

Clunch, Ironstone, Limestone, Pebble, Rubble, Slate, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative

Back
to top