This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WOOLASTON GENERAL ST 59 NE 10/252 Church of St Andrew GV II Anglican parish church. C12 foundation, but almost entirely now of C19 'restoration' and extension. Sandstone, concrete tiled roof to coped gables. Original C12 cruciform plan now lost, is nave, south porch, 2-gabled south aisle, chancel, vestry, north tower (on site of north transept ?). Various windows generally in a C14 style.
Three-stage tower with chamfered offsets, crenellated parapet to low pyramidal roof and weathervane, two deep buttresses to north side of nave. Outer and inner porch doorways heavily restored Norman, door has fine decorative C19 strap hinges. At west end of nave a 3-light window of c1300. Interior, nave with barrel roof, 2-bay south aisle of 1829, the easternmost bay on site of former south transept, chancel arch has paired granite columns with foliated caps, chancel roof 2 heavy cusped King post trusses. Pitch pine pews, octagonal C16 font on Victorian base, C18 pulpit from Claycoton, Northants and screen from Church of the Venerable Bede; one medieval bell, 2 of C17 and 2 of C18. The church was in the grant of Tintern Abbey from 1131; major restoration by Henry Morgan of Tidenham in 1859. It stands in a roughly circular churchyard, suggesting a very early site development.
(VCH, Gloucestershire, Vol X).
Listing NGR: ST5867699343
© Ms Becky Vacara. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Vacara, Becky
Rights Holder: Vacara, Becky
Concrete, Granite, Sandstone, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Weather Vane, Unassigned, Anglican Church