This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WILLOUGHBY BROOKS CLOSE SP56NW (South side) 7/110 Church of St. Nicholas 06/10/60 - II* Church. Early C16. Tower dated 1536. Chancel rebuilt early C19. North aisle of sandstone rubble; south aisle of coursed sandstone and limestone rubble with some render. Tower and porch of limestone ashlar. Chancel of scored imitation ashlar rendered brick. Concrete tile roofs, continuous from nave to aisles, have coped parapets. Porches have coped gable parapets. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, north and south porches. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Perpendicular style.
3-light windows throughout. Chancel has ashlar plinth and moulded cornice.
Diagonal buttresses. Perpendicular style east window has hood mould with head stops. Sill course continued around windowless north and south sides. North aisle continues east of nave. Porch between second and third bays has moulded round arch with hood mould and lozenge stops. C19 traceried panelled door in simple chamfered surround. Windows, some restored, have hood moulds. No west window. Shorter south aisle has porch with blocked doorway with late C20 window inserted. East and 2 south windows have shallow arches and C19 panel tracery.
Blocked west window. Tower of 3 stages has moulded plinth. East angle buttresses of 3 offsets. West diagonal buttresses of 5 offsets have gablets to first offset dated 15 on left and 36 on right. Canted north-east stair turret. Large west window has hood mould with ornamental lozenge stops. Cusped intersecting tracery. Second stage is blank to west, but has trefoiled lancet to south. Third stage has 2-light louvred bell openings with curvilinear tracery and hood mould continued across wall. Moulded cornice and embattled parapet with panelled corners. Interior is plastered. Chancel has cusped Perpendicular style roof.
Chamfered opening to north aisle. Chancel arch and 3-bay arcades have moulded lozenge shaped piers and responds and 4-centred arches. Tower arch has inner half-round shafts and half-octagon capitals, and 2 outer continuous moulded orders. Nave and aisles have plastered ceilings. South aisle walls have shallow chamfered 4-centred plaster arches. Fittings: Early English carved cauldron font. C17 carved oak octagonal pulpit. Reading desk probably made from pulpit door. Early C19 decorated Gothic style altar table. Simple Gothic reredos with texts. Mid C19 altar rails, stalls and pews. Painted coat of arms of George III on north aisle west wall. Wall monuments: north aisle: George Watson 1674.
Moulded shouldered and eared pedimented architrave. Inscription recut. Henry Clerke 1687. Segmental pediment, moulded panel and Ionic pilasters, of stone and slate. Consoles, swags and coat of arms below.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.263-264; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.473).
Listing NGR: SP5159267443
© Dr John Airlie Hunter. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Airlie Hunter, John
Rights Holder: Airlie Hunter, John
Ashlar, Concrete, Limestone, Render, Rubble, Sandstone, Tile, Medieval Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.