This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BRAUNSTON OXFORD CANAL SP56NW 4/111 Bridge No.95
Turn-over bridge. c.1830. Brick with moulded blue brick coping to parapet and blue brick string course at base of parapet. Iron plaque over arch with number '95'. The flanking walls curve down on either side and extend forward beside the canal. A second wall runs parallel to them bordering the tow path, which is carried across the bridge to the opposite side. The section of the Oxford Canal on which this bridge stands was built in 1829-34 as part of a scheme for shortening and straightening the canal, which formerly joined the Grand Union Canal at Braunston Wharf (H. Compton, The Oxford Canal, 1976, p.95).
Listing NGR: SP5315165928
© Dr John Airlie Hunter. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Airlie Hunter, John
Rights Holder: Airlie Hunter, John
Brick, Georgian Wall, Victorian Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Roving Bridge, Transport, Canal Transport Site, Water Transport Site, Bridge