This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SO8318SW BRUNSWICK ROAD 844-1/12/21 (East side) 23/01/52 Nos.47 AND 49
Pair of terrace houses, now offices. Mid C19; later minor alterations. Stuccoed brick, slate roofs, brick stacks on party walls. Replicated and double-depth block with rear wings to left. EXTERIOR: three storeys, semi-basement and attic; identical fronts with rusticated stucco on the basements and ground floors, at first-floor level a continuous cantilevered balcony with a delicate, decorative wrought-iron balustrade with dividing panel between the houses; at second-floor level a raised band; continuous crowning cornice with frieze band; the attic storey with coped parapet is probably a later addition.
To left on the ground floor of each house a flight of stone steps to the entrance doorway with a semicircular arched head enclosing a decorative metal fanlight (No.47, umbrella pattern; No.49, batswing pattern). To right of each doorway a sash, with glazing bars in No.47 (4x4 panes) and later plain sash in No.49; on the first floor of each house two tall sashes with glazing bars (3x5 panes), the lower sashes in No.49 replaced by plain glass sashes; to the basement of each house a casement with glazing bars (4x4 panes); on both the second floor and the attic storey of each house two sashes with glazing bars (second floor 3x4 panes; attic storey 3x3 panes), all the sashes on the ground and second floors in openings with projecting stone sills. INTERIOR: not inspected. Not shown on Causten's map of 1843.
Listing NGR: SO8312618064
© Mr Jack Farley. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Farley, Jack
Rights Holder: Farley, Jack
Brick, Slate, Stucco, Georgian Terraced House, Victorian Monument <By Form>, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Office, Unassigned, Building