This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TG5306NW MARINE PARADE 839-1/20/91 (West side) 05/08/74 No.4 Royal Hotel
Hotel. Opened in 1840, facade and large rear extensions 1877 by JB Pearce. Stuccoed red brick. Slate roof. EXTERIOR: facade in 4 storeys. Five 3-storey canted window bays and an additional bay to right. French doors to ground floor. In centre is a rusticated square entrance porch with a pulvinated frieze and a plain cornice. First-floor bay windows with cast-iron balcony railings on scrolled and pierced brackets. French windows. Second and third floors with replaced sashes without glazing bars. Entrance bay with a crowning achievement. Modillion eaves cornice below a hipped roof. Stacks on rear and side slopes. Rear wing extends west along Waterloo Road. 6 full-height canted bays and a rusticated central entrance, now blocked. 2/2 ground-floor unhorned sashes, but all above are late C20 windows. INTERIOR: large internal courtyard created when rear ranges added, absorbing a formerly external winter garden. Of this the cast-iron columns with pierced spandrels remain abutting the former rear wall of the 1840 building, all now internal. Open-well staircase with turned balusters and newels. Ball finials. HISTORICAL NOTE: Charles Dickens stayed here 1848-9 while writing David Copperfield and met James Sharman (the keeper of the Nelson's Column) on whom he supposedly based the character of Ham Peggotty.
Listing NGR: TG5303406937
© Mr Nigel Gallant. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Gallant, Nigel
Rights Holder: Gallant, Nigel
Brick, Slate, Stucco, Victorian Hostel, Commercial, Domestic, Residential Building