This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL 55 NW STOW-CUM-QUY STOW ROAD (East Side)
10/142 Parish Church of 31.8.62 St Mary
Parish church. Nave window C12, early C13 trancept chapels, rebuilt early C14 chancel and nave arcades with north and south aisles. West tower late C14. Clerestorey c.1500. Two chancel windows unblocked in 1665. East wall of chancel rebuilt and chancel reduced in length in 1739. Church restored c.1885 by W.
White (1825-1900) when wooden belfry was reconstructed in flint and stone. Flint and rubble walls with Barnack limestone and clunch dressings. Plain tile and lead roofs. North elevation.
Chancel C15 window of three cinquefoil lights, and C14 window of two, cinquefoiled ogee-lights. Clerestorey with plain parapet and cornice has four, two-light windows; aisle and north transept with similar parapet and modern gabled porch. Three two-light windows include two, original C14 clunch windows with mouchette tracery, and with large segmental foiled triangle in head. North entrance, restored two-centred arch with continuous moulded jambs. West tower of three stages with plain parapet and two-light belfry window. Interior. Chancel arch of two chamfered orders springing from semi octagonal shafts with moulded capitals. North and south walls have two bays of C14 arcading. Nave arcade of four bays to north and three similar bays to south, early C14 two-centred arches springing from piers with four attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. The eastern arch of south arcade has dog-tooth ornament and is early C13. Tower arch of two chamfered orders with attached shafts, moulded caps and bases. Part of blocked round headed arch of C12 window of south arcade points to an aisless C12 church.
Nave roof early C16 of four bays restored. With hung post trusses and curved braces with arcade tracery in spandrels.
False hammer beams over clerestorey window. Carved bosses at intersections of moulded main timbers. Aisle roofs with carved braces. Font C15, octagonal bowl with foiled panels and shield. Two hatchments C18 or early C19. Two wall paintings in nave. Early C15 screen of five bays. For brasses, brass indents, monuments and floor slabs see R.C.H.M. East Cambs.
R.C.H.M.: East Cambs p. 92, mon. 1.
Hill, A.G. Arch Notes of Ch of Cambs p. 160, 1880
Listing NGR: TL5158559902
© Mr Brian Jenkins. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Jenkins, Brian
Rights Holder: Jenkins, Brian
Clunch, Flint, Lead, Lincolnshire Limestone, Rubble, Tile, Wood, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship